Monday is Columbus Day, a state and federal holiday that commemorates the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus landing on Oct. 12, 1492, in the New World.
In recent times, Columbus Day, which was designated a federal holiday in 1937, has become a day for many to celebrate their Italian-American heritage. For the majority of Americans, it also means a day off from work or school.
Here’s what’s closed on Monday:
- All federal, state and Middletown city and town offices are closed, including the Post Office.
- Most banks are closed.
- Schools are closed.
- Many public libraries, including the Russell Library and Godfrey Library, are closed.
- All postal offices are closed and mail will not be delivered.
- The DMV is closed. Click here for more information.
All liquor stores are open on Columbus Day, including:
- West End Package Store
- Forest City Wines & Spirits
- The Bottle Shop
- Connecticut Beverage Mart