Middletown Patch is beginning a new meet-the-candidates series that allows voters to learn a little bit about the men and women running for public office this November.
Meet Brian Kaskel, 36, who is running for Middletown Board of Education.
- Education University of Hartford, Bachelor of Music (Hartt School of Music)
- Work Connecticut Home Mortgage, Branch Manager
- Why do you want to hold public office in Middletown? I am running for Board of Education. I want to bring a new perspective to the table. A “Kids First” feeling — even if it means tough decisions need to be made.
- What experience do you bring to the table? I just completed my second year of an elected position on the Bielefield Governance Council — and a self-appointed advocate to the Board of Education. I have been involved as a parent member of the BOE’s budget committee. In my professional life, I strive to help people live monetarily within their means. I also help people see a clear picture on how decisions they make today can and will effect their future.
- What do you think the town's most pressing issue is? The school system still needs a lot of work. Test scores have gotten marginally better across the board — but we need the systems and services between the schools to be more equitable. We need to make technology improvements a top priority. And we need to ask ourselves at every turn, how does this help the kids?
- What do you love most about Middletown? You mean besides the restaurants?
- What do you like to do for fun? I like spending my free time with my wife and two daughters, and we ALL like to spend our time driving to new places we haven’t been before. We like new restaurants, parks, shops. Lately I have taken to biking around Middletown and surrounding towns on my bicycle.
- How can residents keep up with you? The best way to reach me is on my BOE Facebook page or my Republican Committee Email Brian.Kaskel@MiddletownCTGOP.com.
Related Election Stories