announces upcoming non-equity auditions for its summer children’s theater production of Jack and the Beanstalk by Marjorie Sokoloff for actors 14 and up (including adults — this is your chance Oddfellows alums!) Jack and the Beanstalk tells the story of a young boy with a tough life.
He and his mother have no money, no food, a run-down house, and an opera-singing cow that won't give milk. Just as he's about to be sent off to an orphanage, Jack meets a mysterious stranger, who gives him three magic beans, along with an even more mysterious piece of advice that sets Jack climbing up a beanstalk and into the clouds.
There, he meets a Giant who would do anything to change places with him. With the help of a wise-cracking hen and a self-absorbed cow, can all of their problems be solved?
There are 10 roles available. Characters are:
- Jack: Male, the main character, needs to be a moderately athletic performer
- Jack's Mother: Female, preferably older age range
- Jack's Father/Stranger: Male, preferably older age range
- Cow: Non-gendered, will have to work with a puppet head, needs to have moderate vocal/singing ability
- Albert the Giant: Male, might involve some work with stilts or extended false limbs
- Albert's Mother: Female, preferably older age range
- Hen: Male, will have to work with a puppet, must be capable of performing in stand-up comedy style
- Voices/Clouds: Non-gendered
Auditions will be held June 21 from 6-9 pm and June 23 from 10 am to noon at Oddfellows Playhouse, 128 Washington Street in Middletown.
Actors of all ages, genders and ethnicities are encouraged to audition. Performances will take place on Friday mornings at 10:00am on July 27, August 3 and August 10. Rehearsals will take place at the Playhouse on weekday evenings from 7-10pm and on weekend afternoons according to cast availability.
For more information on programs, to register for classes or to purchase tickets to performances, call Oddfellows at (860) 347-6143 or log onto oddfellows.org.