Update 1:30 p.m.
The CIAC Quarterfinal Basketball Game Friday evening has been postponed to Saturday at 3:45 p.m. at Mercy High School. Mercy will be playing E.O. Smith High School on home court. The Friday night performance of the musical Grease has been cancelled. Tickets for the Friday performance may be used at the Saturday 7:30 pm show or the Sunday 2 p.m. performance.
A late winter Nor'easter is dumping a steady stream of heavy snow across the state, with accumulations already over a foot in some areas of Connecticut, according to the National Weather Service.
Public and parochials schools are closed and colleges have cancelled morning classes and the city is under a parking ban. By midmorning Friday, Middletown had 8 inches of snowfall from this storm that meteorologists say will leave the area sometime after noon.
Slippery streets are making driving treacherous in spots, evidenced by a 10 a.m. minor fender-bender on Main Street, at Liberty Street, between a car and truck.
Power outages are at a minimum in the city, with .02 percent of CL&P customers without electricity, but towns like Essex have a 64 percent loss (2,524 households) by 10:20 a.m.
The weekend looks bright — Saturday and Sunday are forecast for sunny and in the high 40s, according to the NWS (see picture).
Delays and Cancellations
- Russell Library originally announced it would open at 1 p.m. Friday, but then changed it at 10:30 a.m. to closed the ENTIRE day.
- Middlesex Community College closed Friday. Scholarship application deadline extended to March 11.
- Mercy and Xavier high schools are closed
- Klekolo World Coffee is open as always
- Eli Cannon's Tap Room will open as normal
- Fusion Bakery & Patisserie closing at 4:30 p.m. today.
- Middlesex YMCA is closing at 5 p.m. today and the pools are closing at 4:30 p.m. All afternoon and evening classes and programs are cancelled. We plan to open tomorrow on our normal schedule but please call (860) 347-6907 (press option 6) to be sure.
- Froyoworld Middletown WE'RE OPEN!!!!
Share your snow videos and photos on this article, Middletown, and we'll feature your perspective of this pre-spring storm!