One of the city's most anticipated late-summer events returns this week for the 13th year.
The North End Action Team's annual garden party Thursday at the Erin Street Community Garden is a block-type party that features live, participatory music and an array of tapas that celebrate the cultural and ethnic diversity that marks Middletown's culinary scene.
Even though showers are falling this afternoon, the weather is expected to turn partly sunny and dry into Thursday evening.
NEAT Executive Director Bobbye Knoll Peterson says Jocelyn Pleasant and Friends will return this year to play and lead an all-ages drum circle with percussion instruments provided on Erin Street. Pleasant is a North End Artist Cooperative resident artist who also teaches drums and African percussion at Wesleyan University's Green Street Arts Center.
Hors d'oeuvres, donated by Middletown's diverse range of restaurants — including Mexican, Peruvian, Indian, Thai, vegan and Tibetan — will be passed around by youth residents of the neighborhood.
The garden party begins at 5 p.m. and includes the awarding of scholarships and awards, and North End story sharing.
Volunteers are still needed to help set up and break down tables, served refreshments and North End ambassadors who can speak about how NEAT has helped their neighborhood.
Residents and friends of the North End who have flowers they can donate are encouraged to drop by between 2 and 4 p.m. To volunteer, call (860) 346-4845.
In case of rain, the event will be moved to the Green Street Arts Center on Ferry Street.
The suggested donation is $40 for individuals and $60 for a family; free for North End residents.
The full list of food offerings
- Beef Dumplings and Fresh Vegetable Rolls by Typhoon
- Beef Patties by Pattie Palace
- Party Pizza by Empire Pizza
- Cookies and Palmiers by Fusion Bakery
- Pulled Pork and Yucca Fries by Sabroso
- Vegetable Tiki and Vegetable Pakora by Tandoor
- Assorted hors d’oeuvres by The Tavern at the Armory
- Pizzas by Mondo
- Finger Sandwiches by Public Market
- Nacho Platter by Iguanas y Ranas
- Mini Sandwiches by It’s Only Natural Market
- Tofu Salad and Marinated Seitan by the Bridge
- Sopapillas by Puerto Vallarta
- Fried Ravioli and Mozzarella from Esca
- Iced Coffee by Zen Roasters
- Assorted Baked Goods by O’Rourkes Diner
- Homemade Potato Chips and Assorted Wraps by Chef’s Palate